As we approach the end of the year, we would like to review the tremendous strides our community and the Sikh Coalition have made this year. We also ask for your tax-deductible financial support so we can continue to move forward.
The Coalition now has two full time employees and a fully functioning national office in New York City (expanding to four employees in 2006). We continue to defend Sikh interests and advocate for the rights of all Sikhs. Just a few examples include:
The Coalition has helped Sikhs across the country. In the last three years the Coalition has provided legal assistance to more Sikhs in the U.S. than any other organization in history.
- Rajinder Singh Khalsa’s assailants have been prosecuted and he filed the first ever Sikh civil suit against his attackers.
- Rajinder Singh Khalsa's assailants have been prosecuted and he filed the first ever Sikh civil suit against his attackers.
The Coalition has also made tremendous strides in spreading awareness about Sikhism across the US:
- The Sikh Coalition partnered with the Wing Like Asian Museum to open an exhibit celebrating 100 years of Sikhs in the Pacific Northwest.
- We distributed over 10,000 brochures on Sikhism. We have created a new version of this brochure and also translated it into Spanish and Turkish.
- We conducted over 50 training sessions this year for law enforcement officials, educators, and government administrators all over the country on Sikhs and Sikh practices.
Click on any of the images above and hear about the work of the Coalition from the people we have helped
These are just a few examples of our work. We encourage you to visit www.sikhcoalition.org to learn about these and other great initiatives. But our victories do not have to stop here. The end of the year is a perfect time to make a tax-deductible donation so we can continue to march forward to defend the Sikh identity and safeguard the civil and human rights of fellow citizens. Our high level of activity can only be sustained through continued consistent support from our community. At present, the Coalition is in the midst of a campaign to create a base of recurring donations from which to maintain and continue our important work. We hope that you will make a year-end gift to our recurring donations campaign. Your contributions can help sustain our work and ensure we continue to achieve new milestones for the Sikh community. All contributions to the Sikh Coalition are fully tax deductible.Only through your support can we to continue to move forward in defending the rights of Sikhs. We have made great progress, but still have a long way to go. We look forward to your continued support. Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh ! Donations to the Sikh Coalition made between August 28 and December 31, 2005 qualify for special tax treatment under Katrina Emergency Tax Relief Act of 2005.
In September 2005, new legislation was passed providing many tax benefits to people and business actually affected by Hurricane Katrina. This legislation allows temporary tax benefits to anyone making a contribution to a Qualified Charity between August 28 and December 31, 2005. These include temporary suspension of the income limits on new individual cash charitable donations in 2005. Importantly, the enhanced charitable deductions for individual cash donations applies to all charities, not just charities engaged in work related to Hurricane Katrina. Learn more at: http://www.independentsector.org/programs/gr/relief.html