The Sikh Coalition is a community-based organization that works towards the realization of civil and human rights for all people. In particular, we work towards a world where Sikhs may freely practice and enjoy their faith while fostering strong relations with their local communities. We pursue our mission by:
- Providing direct legal services to persons whose civil or human rights are violated;
- Advocating for law and policies that are respectful of fundamental rights;
- Promoting appreciation for diversity through education; and
- Fostering civic engagement in order to promote local community empowerment
POSITION SUMMARY: The Sikh Coalition’s Eastern Region Director will be charged with coordinating our programs and fundraising work within the Eastern part of the United States. This is an exciting position for someone interested in joining a high growth non-profit team. The right person will be a creative and dynamic leader who is able to manage a variety of supervision, programmatic and fundraising responsibilities.
The Eastern Region Director should be able to strongly relate to members of the Sikh community, donors and government agencies alike, and to grow our base of supporters over time. The candidate will be expected to create an organizational culture that encourages all staff to participate in the strategic vision of the organization, devise new operating processes for the organization when necessary, and be able to creatively solve problems. The candidate should be willing to learn new skills and to work collaboratively with other team members.
The Eastern Region Director will report to the Sikh Coalition’s Executive Director, and will work closely with our management and development teams. The position is based out of the Sikh Coalition’s National Office in New York City.
- Managing personnel in our New York City office
- Balancing our programmatic work to meet the needs of the growing Sikh community in the Eastern Region (which covers the Eastern seaboard of the United States)
- Fundraising to support our Eastern Region operations. This includes grant-writing, growing our donor base and fundraising events
- Engaging in federal advocacy campaigns
- Establishing working relationships and partnering with local advocacy and community-based civil rights organizations
- Cultivating and maintaining a pipeline of volunteers, interns and staff throughout the Eastern Region
- Oversee budgets and administration for Eastern Region
- Other duties as need arises
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Passion and commitment for civil/human rights, social justice and the Sikh American community
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a field related to business or non-profit management, social justice, community organizing, communications or law
- Punjabi language skills preferred
- Previous management experience, preferably in a non-profit setting
- Experience in sales, marketing or fundraising
- Past community involvement and volunteer work required
- Grant writing experience preferred
- Ability to travel
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, pension matching program, vacation and sick leave. To apply for the position, please send your resume, a cover letter, and your employment history to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.