The Sikh Coalition is a wonderful place to work. We have a talented staff that is committed to social justice and has a long record of achievement in pursuit of justice. The organization is fast-paced, entrepreneurial and welcoming. Please consider a career fighting for Sikhs rights. Our generous benefits package for full-time employees includes medical insurance, dental insurance, a pension matching program, vacation and sick leave.
Position Summary: The Sikh Coalition seeks a highly motivated staff attorney based in the organization’s office in New York City. The staff attorney will work as part of the Sikh Coalition’s Legal Program, which provides legal assistance to Sikhs who have been discriminated against or subject to bias based upon their religious beliefs or Sikh identity. The Legal Program takes on a limited number of cases depending upon its ability to provide a high level of quality service. The program prioritizes cases that have a high impact for the Sikh community. These cases generally include hate crimes, employment discrimination, bias-based school bullying, religion-based discrimination, profiling, and other forms of discrimination. This is a full-time position that reports to the Sikh Coalition’s Legal Director.
- Represent and advocate on behalf of Sikhs in a wide range of civil rights matters;
- Communicate effectively with clients;
- Analyze clients’ claims under relevant law, advise clients, and take appropriate legal action;
- Conduct legal research, and draft legal memoranda and pleadings;
- Conduct all aspects of litigation (strategizing, drafting pleadings, conducting discovery, etc.) in civil cases before state and federal courts and administrative bodies;
- Manage intake and interview prospective clients;
- Provide limited information and referrals in cases that the organization cannot take on;
- Recruit pro bono counsel and collaborate with other attorneys and organizations;
- Supervise and manage interns and fellows;
- Work effectively with the organization’s staff on collateral matters (whether advocacy campaigns, press initiatives, fundraising, etc.),
- Represent the Sikh Coalition at a variety of meetings and speaking engagements, and to the press and media outlets.
- Bachelors and Juris Doctor degrees required;
- Bar membership in at least one U.S. based jurisdiction, preferably New York;
- At least 1-3 years of previous legal experience, preferably litigating;
- Demonstrated passion for social justice;
- Have compassion for clients and be able to connect with and gain the trust of community members of diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent written, oral and analytical skills;
- Bright and intellectually curious;
- Hardworking and self-motivated;
- Ability to handle a large caseload and multi-task effectively;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Basic computer and Westlaw skills;
- Punjabi language skills a plus.
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.