H.R.3162 - Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA PATRIOT ACT) Act of 2001
SEC. 1002. SENSE OF CONGRESS.
(a) FINDINGS- Congress finds that--
(1) all Americans are united in condemning, in the strongest possible terms, the terrorists who planned and carried out the attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001, and in pursuing all those responsible for those attacks and their sponsors until they are brought to justice;
(2) Sikh-Americans form a vibrant, peaceful, and law-abiding part of America's people;
(3) approximately 500,000 Sikhs reside in the United States and are a vital part of the Nation;
(4) Sikh-Americans stand resolutely in support of the commitment of our Government to bring the terrorists and those that harbor them to justice;
(5) the Sikh faith is a distinct religion with a distinct religious and ethnic identity that has its own places of worship and a distinct holy text and religious tenets;
(6) many Sikh-Americans, who are easily recognizable by their turbans and beards, which are required articles of their faith, have suffered both verbal and physical assaults as a result of misguided anger toward Arab-Americans and Muslim-Americans in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack;
(7) Sikh-Americans, as do all Americans, condemn acts of prejudice against any American; and
(8) Congress is seriously concerned by the number of crimes against Sikh-Americans and other Americans all across the Nation that have been reported in the wake of the tragic events that unfolded on September 11, 2001.
(b) SENSE OF CONGRESS- Congress--
(1) declares that, in the quest to identify, locate, and bring to justice the perpetrators and sponsors of the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, the civil rights and civil liberties of all Americans, including Sikh-Americans, should be protected;
(2) condemns bigotry and any acts of violence or discrimination against any Americans, including Sikh-Americans;
(3) calls upon local and Federal law enforcement authorities to work to prevent crimes against all Americans, including Sikh-Americans; and
(4) calls upon local and Federal law enforcement authorities to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law all those who commit crimes.