Position Summary: Reporting to the Managing Director of Programs, the Community Development Director will oversee the growth and expansion of our grassroots and community engagement work. A successful candidate will administer organizational programs aimed at addressing the needs of the Sikh community at the local level and replicate priority programs across sangats. This individual will lead on building a national network of grassroots leaders through a variety of programming, including the Sikh Advocate Academy, Junior Sikh Coalition, Sikh Coalition Ambassador Program, Gurdwara Security Awareness, and the Sikh Presenter’s Course. This individual will lead, support, and empower community members who are promoting interfaith solidarity; building relationships with government officials; and working with local schools to build a Sikh-friendly environment for our future generations. The Community Development Director will be overseeing the direct engagement of local communities through Gurdwaras nationally.
The ideal candidate relates well to Sikhs across demographic boundaries, is a self-starter, is committed to building relationships, has an unwavering commitment to the Sikh Coalition’s vision and values, and exemplifies the Sikh Coalition’s commitment to serving as a catalyst for change. S/he will be focused on building social momentum, strengthening our community, coordinating initiatives, and developing partnerships.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Location: NYC or CA preferred
Employment Type: Full-time
Report to: Managing Director of Programs
Number of Direct Reports: 2-3
Employment Status: Exempt
To manage key leadership initiatives including the Junior Sikh Coalition, Sikh Advocate Academy, and the Ambassador’s Program.
To mobilize and empower the Sikh community nationally through overseeing grassroots engagement that deepens relationships with their neighbors, school officials, policymakers, media and partner organizations.
- Mobilize the Sikh community in times of need (i.e. crisis response, advocacy campaign, etc.)
- Establish working relationships and partnerships with local advocacy and community-based civil rights and interfaith organizations
- Develop relationships with local gurdwaras to deliver Know Your Rights and community empowerment workshops, as well as Gurdwara Security Awareness programs
- Oversee California Sikh Awareness & Appreciation Month
- Oversee Day of Seva events nationally.
- Work with the Communications & Media team to train and empower community members to effectively engage with media to deliver interviews and write op-eds.
- Work with the Advocacy team to generate grassroots support for advocacy campaigns.
- Support organization fundraising efforts led by fund development team.
- Represent the Sikh Coalition at conferences, meetings, and other occasions as needed.
To partner with communities to include Sikhism in state standards and create safer schools
- Engage school officials and partner organizations to address school bullying by providing and/or delivering lesson plans, anti-bullying resources and Sikh awareness presentations
- Organize and manage Sikh awareness presentations
To lead the development of key resources and content
- Create and refine resources and materials community members can use to raise awareness, understand their rights and engage with allies.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
To perform successfully in this position, the following are critical:
A. Preferred Work Experience and Key Skills
- 4-7 years of experience in community-related organizing work in a professional or personal capacity.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written; fluency in Punjabi is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to create and foster respectful, diverse, and supportive dialogue among community members and partners.
- Is able to receive feedback, engage respectfully and resolve differences that may arise in community-focused work.
- Self-starter, flexible with an entrepreneurial spirit and thrives in a fast-moving environment.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, resourcefulness in setting priorities, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent project management and process development skills, including ability to design and maintain effective systems, gather resources and establish priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to translate ideas into actionable plans and adjust course as needed to ensure that goals are attained.
- Flexibility with work schedule and must be willing to travel; this position requires frequent evening and weekend work to meet with community members and attend events.
- Bachelors degree required.
B. Values and Perspectives
- Belief in Sikh Coalition values of truth (sach), service and humility (seva) and persistence (sangarsh) as being critical in how we pursue creating change.
- Respect for the faith-based roots of the organization and sensitivity to the specific cultural needs of the community.
- Commitment to consensus-building and shared decision making as a process – coupled with the ability to make decisions and bring together the whole team on delivering against them.
- A commitment to social justice and a strong interest in social justice education and community empowerment.
Commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, pension matching program, vacation and sick leave. To apply for the position, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may ask for writing samples and references before interviewing.
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.