Position Summary: Reporting to the Director of Community Development, the Community Development Manager SoCal will be charged with mobilizing the Sikh community in southern California to broadly engage in their local civic life. A successful candidate will administer organizational programs aimed at addressing the needs of the Sikh community in southern California. S/he will be responsible for mobilizing the community to work towards common goals through collective action. S/he will be focused on building social momentum, strengthening our community, coordinate initiatives, and developing partnerships.
The ideal candidate relates well to Sikh community members across demographics, is a self-starter, is committed to building relationships, has an unwavering commitment to the Sikh Coalition’s vision and values, and exemplifies the Sikh Coalition’s commitment to serving as a catalyst for change.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To mobilize and empower the Sikh community in the broader Los Angeles area and deepen relationships with their neighbors, school officials, policymakers, media and partner organizations.
- Engage various city and state government officials to further the civil rights agenda of the community.
- Engage school officials and partner organizations to address school bullying by providing and/or delivering lesson plans, anti-bullying resources, and Sikh awareness presentations
- Organize and manage Sikh awareness presentations
- Mobilize the Sikh community in times of need (i.e. crisis response, advocacy campaign, etc.)
- Establish working relationships and partnerships with local advocacy and community-based civil rights organizations.
- Develop relationships with local gurdwaras to deliver Know Your Rights and community empowerment workshops
- Manage all California Sikh Awareness & Appreciation Month events in the southern California region.
- Manage Day of Seva events in the southern California region.
- Work with the Communications & Media team to train and empower community members to effectively engage with media to deliver interviews and write op-eds.
- Support organization fundraising efforts including the annual SoCal Bowl-a-thon
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
To perform successfully in this position, the following are critical:A. Preferred Work Experience and Key Skills
A. Preferred Work Experience and Key Skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written; fluency in Punjabi is strongly preferred.
- Self-starter, flexible with an entrepreneurial spirit and thrives in a fast-moving environment.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, resourcefulness in setting priorities, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent project management and process development skills, including ability to design and maintain effective systems, gather resources and establish priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to translate ideas into actionable plans and adjust course as needed to ensure that goals are attained.
- Previous work or volunteer experience with the Sikh community is preferred.
- Flexibility with work schedule and must be willing to travel; this position requires frequent evening and weekend work to meet with community members and attend events.
- Bachelors degree required.
B. Values and Perspectives
- Belief in Sikh Coalition values of truth (sach), service and humility (seva) and persistence (sangarsh) as being critical in how we pursue creating change.
- Respect for the faith-based roots of the organization and sensitivity to the specific cultural needs of the community.
- Commitment to consensus-building and shared decision making as a process – coupled with the ability to make decisions and bring together the whole team on delivering against them.
- A commitment to social justice and a strong interest in social justice education and community empowerment.
Commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, pension matching program, vacation and sick leave. To apply for the position, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may ask for writing samples and references before interviewing.
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.