About the Sikh Coalition
For more than 20 years, the Sikh Coalition, a national community-based, civil rights organization, has defended Sikh civil liberties in the courtroom, classroom, community, and halls of Congress. Whether it’s working to secure safer schools, combat and prevent hate and discrimination, create equal employment opportunities and access, or empower local Sikh communities, the Sikh Coalition’s goal is working towards a world where Sikhs, and other religious and racial minorities in America, may freely practice their faith without bias and discrimination.
The Sikh Coalition is a nonpartisan, civil rights nonprofit with approximately 20 full-time staff and over one hundred volunteers that operates on a $2.4+ million budget with complete financial transparency. Our funding comes from private foundations and individual donors. We receive no direct funding from any government agencies.
For more information please visit www.sikhcoalition.org.
The Sikh Coalition is seeking an individual with a strong track record to manage and scale the fast-paced growth of the Sikh Coalition’s fundraising and operations team. An integral member of the senior team, the Director/Senior Director of Development and Operations will be responsible for managing and growing the organization’s annual budget of more than $2.4 million, driving the fundraising strategy and execution, and strengthening the organization’s infrastructures.
This is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director and will supervise two full-time staff members. This will be a fully remote position but will require travel. This individual does not need to come from the Sikh community, but should share the organization’s values and believe in our mission.
Key Areas / Responsibilities
- Work with the Executive Director to set annual targets, and develop and maintain fundraising streams (including but not limited to individual donor and foundation management) to achieve agreed-upon goals.
- Cultivate new sources and strategies for funding, including identifying new revenue streams and meeting with major donors and prospects.
- Develop and grow relationships with key community donors and foundation program officers.
- Plan and execute fundraising events including peer to peer and house fundraisers, while also representing the organization at community and professional events.
- Manage a portfolio of high networth donors and prospects including making direct solicitations either virtually or in-person.
- Collaborate with the communications team to develop a digital fundraising strategy.
- Provide oversight for all foundation applications and reporting.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and board to develop and implement strategy to grow endowment and investment funds.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director to draft the annual budget and oversee expenditures and evolving needs.
- Oversee fiscal activities and government filings including monthly and annual financial reporting, and the annual audit process.
- Ensure that the organization’s legal and financial compliance requirements are met, that the organization is protected from undue financial, legal and reputational risks, and that funds are disbursed in accordance with contract requirements and donor designations.
- Supervise operations manager responsibilities, including: onboarding staff and maintaining remote office functions.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- At least seven years experience in fundraising required.
- Must have excellent attention to detail, critical thinking skills and an entrepreneurial spirit (i.e. be a self-starter).
- Highly developed organization skills with the ability to handle multiple, quickly shifting priorities.
- Excellent project management and process development skills, including ability to design and maintain effective systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders, donors, and communities.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills (both oral and written) and proven ability to close major gifts.
- Strong interest and understanding of technologies and technology integrations including a strong command of CRMs, preferably Salesforce.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to organize, analyze, disseminate and explain data with attention to detail and accuracy.
The ideal candidate will also exemplify the Sikh Coalition’s values:
- Belief in the Sikh Coalition values of truth (sach), service and humility (seva) and persistence (sangarsh) as being critical in how we pursue creating change.
- Respect for the faith-based roots of the organization and sensitivity to the specific cultural needs of the community.
- Commitment to consensus-building and shared decision making as a process, coupled with the ability to make decisions and bring together the whole team on delivering against them.
- A commitment to social justice and a strong interest in social justice education and community empowerment.
This is a full-time, remote, exempt salaried position and compensation will depend on the role and commensurate with experience in the $90,000-135,000 range. Benefits include:
- Medical, dental, vision fully covered for employees. Option to contribute to a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) available.
- Retirement savings (equivalent to a 401K plan) with a company contribution match.
- Generous vacation and sick leave, including compensation time when weekend work is required.
- Paid parental leave.
- Commitment to professional development and growth. Applicable professional membership dues may be eligible for reimbursement.
Please click here to submit a current resume and a substantive cover letter highlighting interest and relevant experience. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.