The Sikh Coalition’s Legal Program seeks a highly motivated Legal Fellow to join our team for three to six months to provide direct legal assistance and advocate on behalf of Sikhs who have been discriminated against or subject to bias based upon their religious beliefs or Sikh identity. These include cases of hate crimes, employment discrimination, bias-based school bullying, religion-based discrimination, profiling, and other forms of discrimination.
The Sikh Coalition has favorably resolved major religious discrimination cases against the federal government, Autozone, Disney, Lexus and the NYPD. In addition, it has successfully litigated against the U.S. Army and secured a policy change allowing for Sikhs to serve with their turbans, unshorn hair, and beards intact. The legal team has provided direct support to the victims and survivors of anti- Sikh hate crimes across the country. In just 2016, the work of the Sikh Coalition’s legal team was featured nationally and internationally in media outlets including: The New York Times, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Fox News, NPR, etc.
Legal fellows will receive hands-on experience:
- Conducting legal research;
- Writing research memoranda;
- Drafting letters, complaints and legal briefs;
- Interviewing clients or witnesses;
- Assisting with litigation and casework;
- Gaining exposure to federal & state anti-discrimination and religious rights laws, e.g., Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the First Amendment and federal and state Religious Freedom Restoration Acts.
The Legal Fellow should be a law school graduate who can work full-time (or at at least 20 hours per week) preferably at our New York City office, which is located in the Financial District and accessible by public transportation. (A remote position may be considered for exceptionally responsible candidates.) Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Prior exposure to Sikh civil rights issues is not required.
Location: National Office – New York, 50 Broad Street, Ste. 1637 New York, NY 10004
- Passion for social justice and civil rights;
- Bright, intellectually curious, hardworking, and self-motivated;
- Compassion for clients;
- Excellent legal research (Westlaw), writing, and analytical skills;
- Team player, i.e., is able to work effectively with legal and non-legal staff across all program areas;
- Punjabi language skills are a plus.
We anticipate providing a stipend to the Legal Fellow and/or will work with the Fellow’s law school or other entities to obtain funding. The position is available immediately and applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Legal Fellowship Application” as the subject line.
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
“As a legal fellow at the Sikh Coalition,I had the chance to draft complaint letters, pre-litigation documents, and press releases; conduct research on a variety of legal issues; learn the ins and outs of litigation strategy and media advocacy; liaise with law enforcement on hate crime issues; connect with community members; and work with a wonderful team of passionate and dedicated individuals. I am grateful to have been able to learn from a team of social justice advocates who accomplish an incredible amount of positive change.”
– Anna Jay, Legal Fellow