Position Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director (ED) and serving on the leadership team, the Senior Director of Talent will lead and manage the Sikh Coalition’s talent and human resources function across the organization. The role will encompass a mission-aligned talent strategy that covers employees and how to create and extended team of external resources to amplify the reach of the organization. S/he will help ensure the Sikh Coalition is an exceptional place to work and grow, and strengthen the organization’s operational infrastructure and management practices during a time of change and growth.
S/he will partner with other Directors and the ED to manage and build the internal team, as well as oversee the Sikh Coalition’s Fellowship and Volunteer Programs, ensuring a pipeline and community of talent to advance the organization’s impact. The ideal candidate demonstrates excellent strategic thinking, has strong people and process skills, can think creatively to project the organizational value and values to a network of resources. It will be important to cultivate strong cross-functional relationships, manages others effectively, champion the Sikh Coalition’s vision and values, and exemplify the Sikh Coalition’s commitment to serving as a catalyst for change. We are looking for someone who transforms the organization with culture, protect it with process, and help lead it through the next milestones in becoming an institution that thrives through generations.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Leadership and Management
- Cultivate and manage a robust, collaborative relationship with the Board
- Serve on the Sikh Coalition’s senior management team, collaborating with the ED and other senior leaders on the strategy and execution of all major organizational initiatives
- Work closely with the Board and ED to execute on a long-range strategy and develop staffing and operational plans that achieve the Sikh Coalition’s mission
- Communicate a compelling vision of the organization to internal and external stakeholders based on an agreed-upon mission
- Oversee day-to-day operations, including human resources and administration
- Oversee the day-to-day coordination and engagement of the Sikh Coalition’s 100+ and growing volunteer base
- Strengthen and maintain the management and governance culture and practices of the organization, in particular supporting supervisors and staff in collaborating across functional areas and geographies, enhancing a focus on trust, accountability, and staff empowerment, and maintaining a climate that attracts and retains a diverse work force of high quality staff
- Role model and uphold the values of diversity, inclusion and equity in hiring, onboarding, and developing staff
B. Talent Recruitment, Development & Retention
- Lead the development and implementation of a best-in-sector talent recruitment and development strategy that powerfully advances the Sikh Coalition’s mission
- Communicate the Sikh Coalition’s unique employee value proposition through networking events, job fairs, and other marketing and branding opportunities
- Develop and implement recruitment protocols, including interviewing guidelines, evaluation methods, and training for hiring managers, to land top-tier talent that advances the organization’s culture and mission.
- Codify the essential skills and attributes needed to succeed at the Sikh Coalition and in each role
- Conceptualize professional development goals and pathways for all staff to continue to learn and grow through their tenure at the Sikh Coalition
- Enhance a focus on trust and staff empowerment, and maintain a climate that attracts and retains diverse and exceptional talent
C. Human Resources
- Oversee staffing needs of organization, organizational structure and the roles and responsibilities of staff
- Develop and implement a strong performance management process, including ensuring that the performance reviews happen regularly and support organizational and individual goal-setting, staff professional development, and performance recognition
- Ensure strong HR programs and benefits, manage the employee lifecycle from onboarding to exit, and ensure that policies and management and employee actions are consistent with applicable laws and regulations
- Ensure employees receive prompt support in managing their workplace needs, including employee relations, grievances, and legal matters, in coordination with relevant external experts as the organizational ombudsman
D. Volunteer and Fellow Management
- Oversee Internship and Fellowship programs at the Sikh Coalition
- Oversee the interface and day-to- day management of 100+ volunteers nationally including: sharing of materials, setting up infinity groups, leveraging technology for program delivery, regular group check-ins, matching potential volunteers to programs and coordinating with the program team on a regular basis
E. Office Management
- Manage office operations, including streamlining administrative functions, and overseeing technology support and facilities management
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
To perform successfully in this position, the following are critical:
A. Preferred Work Experience and Key Skills
- 5-10 years of experience in supporting organizational leaders with talent recruitment and development
- Deep understanding of industry best practices in recruitment, compensation, and talent management; familiarity with employment law, benefits, and compliance preferred but not required
- Demonstrated track record of creating positive work cultures with strong relationships with management, peers and reports
- Energy, creativity, and a strategic mindset for addressing talent issues, with the courage to break new ground and navigate change
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders
- Strong project management experience and attention to detail
- Exceptional integrity and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential employment information with discretion, strong judgement, and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to create and foster a respectful, diverse, and supportive work environment among staff, in particular to receive feedback openly, to engage with and resolve differences that arise
- Bachelors degree required
B. Values and Perspectives
- Belief in Sikh Coalition values of truth (sach), service and humility (seva) and persistence (sangarsh) as being critical in how we pursue creating change.
- Respect for the faith-based roots of the organization and sensitivity to the specific cultural needs of the community
- Commitment to consensus-building and shared decision making as a process – coupled with the ability to make decisions and bring together the whole team on delivering against them.
Commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, pension matching program, vacation and sick leave. To apply for the position, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. We may ask for writing samples and references before interviewing.
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.