Please note: We are accepting applications for Spring and Fall internships on a rolling basis.
Sikh Coalition internships allows students pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies to gain hands-on experience in promoting the civil and human rights of all individuals.
Our internships focus on giving all interns the opportunity to be involved in projects that they can learn from and enjoy. Throughout the years, interns have worked to further the mission and vision of the Sikh Coalition by helping to achieve legal victories, as well as educating and empowering the community and contributing to the growth of the organization.
Prospective interns should be undergraduate or graduate students who are hard-working, enthusiastic, self-motivated, flexible, and dedicated to protecting and advocating for the civil and human rights of all individuals.
Spring and fall internships require a commitment of at least 10 hours a week, unless otherwise noted. A work-study option can be discussed if applicable. The internships are unpaid
We are currently accepting internships in the following program areas. Please submit a separate application for each internship for which you wish to apply.
MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS
The Sikh Coalition is seeking a creative and dynamic intern to work with our Media and Communications senior staff on projects aimed at enhancing the way we communicate with reporters, community members, and everybody in between. An ideal candidate would possess skills and background in more than one of these areas: digital/social media, basic graphic design, journalism, or public relations. This candidate must be a strong writer and have a good sense of humor!
The internship will be managed by two directors who will be sharing project management responsibilities on a variety of communications-related projects that you will be working on. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in getting a real tutorial in how an organization manages media and communications work across numerous platforms in addition to the hands-on experience in a non-profit setting that helps to empower and educate.
Responsibilities will include:
- Implement evolving Twitter strategy aimed at engaging press
- Research and manage press list development along with press updates
- Track press coverage on related program issues
- Pitch calls to reporters and producers
- Draft original press content (press fact sheets, advisories, pitches)
- Assist in designing graphics and Sikh Coalition online resources
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including interviewing skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign preferred.
- Previous digital media experience (required).
- Communications, public relations, or journalism background.
- Knowledge of the Sikh Coalition’s mission and previous initiatives is a plus.
The Sikh Coalition is seeking a dynamic intern to work in conjunction with the Development & Communications Manager. The internship will provide an excellent opportunity for the individual to gain invaluable experience in fundraising, development and non-profit management.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assistance in organizing fundraising events
- Researching and implementing tools to increase efficiency
- Assisting in marketing and promotional initiatives
- Maintaining the Sikh Coalition’s website and online presence
- Detail-oriented, well-organized and self-motivated.
- A proactive self-starter who can develop and implement projects.
- Possesses excellent written & oral skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Please email resume, cover letter and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are applying for more than one internship, please submit separate applications for each opportunity.
- Applicants must clearly indicate for which position he or she is applying.
- Clearly indicate if interested in a work-study option.
- Applicants who do not include all the necessary information or do not fit the criteria may not be processed.
- For further inquires, please email us at email@example.com.