Please note: We are no longer accepting applications for the Summer 2017 internship program. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be considered for the Summer 2018 internship program.
The Sikh Coalition Summer Internship Program allows students pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies to gain hands-on experience in promoting the civil and human rights of all individuals.
Our Summer Internship Program focuses on giving all interns the opportunity to be involved in projects that they can learn from and enjoy. Throughout the years, interns have worked to further the mission and vision of the Sikh Coalition by helping to achieve legal victories, as well as educating and empowering the community and contributing to the growth of the organization.
Prospective interns should be undergraduate or graduate students who are hard-working, enthusiastic, self-motivated, flexible, and dedicated to protecting and advocating for the civil and human rights of all individuals.
Summer internships require a commitment of 40 hours a week for 10 weeks, unless otherwise noted. A work-study option can be discussed if applicable. A small stipend is provided.
Please submit a separate application for each internship for which you wish to apply.
Are you a law student or graduate interested in our legal internship? Please click here.
We are currently accepting internships in the following program areas:
MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS
The Sikh Coalition is seeking a creative and dynamic intern to work with our Media and Communications team on projects aimed at enhancing the way we communicate with reporters, community members, and everybody in between. An ideal candidate will possess skills and background in more than one of these areas: digital/social media, basic graphic design, journalism, or public relations. This candidate must be a strong writer and have a good sense of humor! This internship is strongly preferred in New York City office.
The internship will be managed by two directors who will be sharing project management responsibilities on a variety of communications-related projects that you will be working on. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in getting a real tutorial in how an organization manages media and communications work across numerous platforms in addition to the hands-on experience in a non-profit setting that helps to empower and educate.
Responsibilities will include:
- Implement evolving social media strategy aimed at engaging press
- Research and manage press list development along with press updates
- Track press coverage on related program issues
- Pitch calls to reporters and producers
- Draft original press content (press fact sheets, advisories, pitches)
- Assist in designing graphics and Sikh Coalition online resources
Assist in drafting and updating website content
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including interviewing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign preferred.
- Previous digital media experience required
- Communications, public relations, or journalism background
- Knowledge of the Sikh Coalition’s mission and previous initiatives
- Proficiency in basic HTML coding a strong plus
DEVELOPMENT & SPECIAL PROJECTS
You’ll help the Sikh Coalition do more by supporting fundraising projects, community engagement initiatives and our communications channels. As a part of the Development & Communications team, you will get hands-on experience on what it means to increases resources for a non-profit.
You will learn and be supporting the team in the following:
- Organizing fundraising and community engagement events
- Researching and implementing tools to increase efficiency in our day-to-day operations
- Update and increase traffic to our website
- Design marketing materials
- Manage our supporter management systems
Skills: We are looking for college or graduate students who are passionate about our mission: Working towards the realization of civil and human rights for all people
In addition, we are looking for someone who is:
- Driven: You are excited to learn new skill sets and put them to work right away
- A skilled communicator: you like to write and feel comfortable speaking to someone new over the phone (Punjabi is a plus)
- Detail-oriented: You know that organization and focusing on the details matters to the success of any project
- Savvy with tech: You know your way around computers, are proficient with Microsoft and Google applications (design or video editing software is a plus)
Do you have a passion for working toward the empowerment of underrepresented communities? The Community Development intern will work with the Community Development Manager to promote change in Sikh communities that help build a safer climate in school systems and for Sikh families, and connect Sikhs with essential resources vital to advancing academic and professional lives.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working with Sikh communities in New York, specifically in Queens and New Jersey
- Organizing workshops and events for the youth leadership development program, the Junior Sikh Coalition
- Leading communications efforts with mainstream and Punjabi media
- Detail-oriented, well-organized and self-motivated
- A proactive self-starter who can develop and implement projects
- Possesses excellent written & oral skills
- Fluency in Punjabi is preferred
- Previous community engagement experience is a bonus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required
- Applicants should either be pursuing or have completed an undergraduate or a graduate degree
- Please email resume, cover letter and a writing sample to email@example.com. If you are applying for more than one internship, please submit separate applications for each opportunity.
- Applicants must clearly indicate for which position he or she is applying.
- Clearly indicate if interested in a work-study option.
- Applicants who do not include all the necessary information or do not fit the criteria may not be processed.
- For further inquires, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.